Take care of your skin from home – televisits
A televisit is a type of medical visit where the patient and doctor interact in real-time via videoconferencing technology. You, the patient, can have your skin complaint evaluated in the comfort of your own home, through one-one-one communication with your dermatologist. If you’ve ever used your smartphone or computer to Facetime, Skype, Zoom, etc, you’re ready for a televisit! It is important to know that we use a HIPAA-compliant, secure electronic health record (EHR) and electronic messaging platform to carry out our televisits and patient communication.
Skin conditions that can be evaluated by a televisit include:
- skin infections
- certain skin lesions
Note: not all skin conditions can be fully evaluated with a televisit. Your dermatologist may therefore recommend a follow-up visit and/or biopsy in the office at a future date. This does not mean that your televisit is wasted, as important and useful information can be gained with every encounter.
How to Make a Televisit
1) There are 3 ways to choose from: use the Book Online button at the top/bottom of this page, call us at 703-723-9751 or send us a request here.
2) You will be sent an email confirming your appointment date/time with instructions on how to join your televisit (note: check your junk/spam inbox if you do not see the email in your primary inbox). We recommend using the Skype app on your smartphone (rather than a desktop computer) for best video resolution. If there are any technical difficulties with Skype, Facetime may be used as a backup.
3) Please reply or email the following information to: [email protected]
- For new and estabilished patients with a rash, lesion check, psoriasis, or eczema: two digital photos (using digital camera or smartphone): one up close (about 2″) and one further away (about 6″). We highly prefer reviewing these before you are seen as it will help increase the accuracy and value of your televisit.
- For new patients only: front and back picture of your insurance card and photo ID
4) If you are a new patient to the practice, or have not seen us in the past 3 years, please complete our new patient registration form and consent here prior to your televisit: online patient registration
5) For all new and established patients doing a televisit for the first time: please complete our televisit consent form here prior to your appointment: televisit consent
6) On the day of your televisit, about 30 minutes prior to your appointment, our office will call you to confirm general information, help you connect to your televisit, and to obtain any copays or deductibles. Insurance coverage will be similar to any other office visit.