Take care of your skin from home – televisits
A televisit is a type of medical visit where the patient and doctor interact in real-time via videoconferencing technology. You, the patient, can have your skin complaint evaluated in the comfort of your own home, through one-one-one communication with your dermatologist. If you’ve ever used your smartphone or computer to Facetime, Skype, Zoom, etc, you’re ready for a televisit! It is important to know that we use a HIPAA-compliant, secure electronic health record (EHR) and electronic messaging platform to carry out our televisits and patient communication.
Skin conditions that can be evaluated by a televisit include:
- skin infections
- certain skin lesions
Note: not all skin conditions can be fully evaluated with a televisit. Your dermatologist may therefore recommend a follow-up visit and/or biopsy in the office at a future date. This does not mean that your televisit is wasted, as important and useful information can be gained with every encounter.
How to Make a Televisit
1) Call us at 703-723-9751 or send us a request here – we’ll get back to you same day. Online televisit booking will be available in the near future.
2) You will be sent an email confirming your appointment date/time with instructions towards the bottom of the email on how to join your televisit by downloading the Healow phone app (recommended) from your iOS or Android app store and registering. We do not recommend using a desktop computer or the patient portal for televisits at this time. Our Healow practice code is: ICIDAA
3) We also recommend uploading supplemental photos of your skin condition to enhance the value and accuracy of your televisit. Send photos in advance, labeled by location, to: [email protected]
4) If you are a new patient to the practice, or have not seen us in the past 3 years, please complete our new patient registration form and consent here prior to your televisit: online patient registration
A televisit-specific consent form will also be available in your Healow app at the time of your televisit. An online option is also available here:televisit consent
5) On the day of your televisit, about 30 minutes prior to your appointment, our office will call you to confirm general information, answer any questions you may have, and to obtain any copays or deductibles. Insurance coverage will be similar to any other office visit.
6) On your smartphone (recommended):
- Open the Healow app and sign in (see above for sign-up information)
- Select “Appointments” on the dashboard wheel
- Read and submit the requested information/consent
- Select “Start Televisit”
- Your dermatologist will join the visit within a few minutes. Please keep the app screen open while you are waiting.
7) If you are having technical difficulties with your Healow app, please give us a call — the videoconferencing may also be done via Skype or Facetime as a backup.